Dr. José Ignacio Vela
Medical license number: 34128
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra, 1998. Ophthalmology Specialty Training at Vall d'Hebrón Hospital (1999-2003).
Certificate of Research Proficiency from the Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2001.
Senior Specialist in the Retina Unit of the Department of Ophthalmology of Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona.
Areas of interest:
Medical-surgical vitreoretinal pathology, with special interest in retinal detachment, high myopia and macular disorders.
- Member of the Catalan Society of Ophthalmology (SCO)
- Member of the Spanish Retina and Vitreous Society (SERV)
- Member of EURETINA
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree. University of Navarra. Pamplona, 1998
- Bachelors degree examination: Outstanding
- OPHTHALMOLOGY Specialist Training, Ciudad Sanitaria Vall d'Hebrón in Barcelona. (1999-2003)
- Postgraduate courses. Certificate of Research Proficiency: Papel de la citología de impresión en el síndrome del párpado fláccido. Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2001
- Specialist in the Vitreoretinal Department at Hospital de Viladecans (2003-2005)
- Vitreoretinal surgeon at Granollers General Hospital (2004-2005)
- Director of the ophthalmic A&E Department of the Condal Institute of Ophthalmology (2007-2009)
Director of the Vitreoretinal Unit at the Condal Institute of Ophthalmology (ICO), 2003 to date. Ophthalmology specialist (senior specialist doctor) Area: Medical-surgical Vitroretinal Section, Hospital de la Santa Creu i de Sant Pau Healthcare Management Foundation, 2005 to date.
- Speaker at 68 national communications and 6 international communications
- 3 prizes at national communications
- 23 publications in national and international journals
- Investigator in 8 research projects with 2 FIS projects
- Attendance at many courses and congresses
- Vela JI, Crespí J, Andreu D. Repositioning of dexamethasone intravitreal implant (Ozurdex®) migrated into the anterior chamber. Int Ophthalmol. 2012 Dec;32(6):583-4.
- López G, Torres OH, Vela I, Pomar V. Ocular disease as an onset form of disseminated nocardiosis by Nocardia brasiliensis. Med Clin (Barc). 2012 Oct 13;139(9):415-6.
- Cancino R, Vela JI, Sullivan I, Buil JA, Muñoz CA. Regression of late onset choroidal metastasis from a breast carcinoma with letrozole. Case Report Ophthalmol. 2011 Sep;2(3):382-6.
- Vela JI, Andreu D, Díaz-Cascajosa J, Buil JA. Intraocular lens dislocation after whole-body vibration. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010 Oct;36(10):1790-1.
- Twitter: @nachovelaRETINA